10.04.2007

What's in a Name? - A LOT!

Well at least it's a LOT for this bitty thing! :) Sorry I haven't shared her American name til now... I knew that a new post (about her name) would knock her Referral photos further down the blog... and I've loved opening the blog and having that big photo staring right at me! So I've added it to the side column -- but her face looks a little "squushed" to me - I tried cropping it but that didn't fix it. Now to her name... For so long I thought I would name my little girl (if I ever had one) for my mother, Virginia, and I've always loved the name. But when I started this whole adoption process, I had this strong feeling that she should have her "OWN" name. But I was very torn... and kept coming back to this name I've always liked. I don't know anyone personally by this name and I don't hear it too often. Sooooo, enough "prefacing"...

Madeleine Virginia Liwei Johnston

A mouthful, I know! I plan to call her "Madeleine" - I don't really want it to turn into "Maddie" so I'm gonna try to "enforce" that :) (sorry, any "Maddie's out there). As for Madeleine, the Madeleine's I "know" are Madeleine Albright (smart) and Madeleine Kahn (funny) -- that seems like a good combo! And I love Liwei, too. She can use that when she's older if she chooses to. "Virginia" will probably get lost along the way, but at least I will know - and she will know - why I wanted to keep that name, too.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been on RQ's site for so long and there has not been a site that has moved me as much as yours! Your daughter is, of course, beautiful but your writing is the sweetest that I have ever seen. I wish you only the best with your new life! With a LID in 04/06 you have helped us with our wait! Thank you:)

Caroline said...

I hope you get to travel to get Madeleine soon!!!! I really like the name. And don't be surprised if you start using Liwei as well - I have found it works very well in department stores to call Jordan by her Chinese name if she doesn't answer to her English one. I hope you are coming to the halloween party so that I can see all the pictures in person!!! Hooray!

Shannon said...

Madeline Virginia Liwei. It's beautiful, just like her. I'm SOOO happy for you!!! I'm getting goosebumps again, just thinking about it!!

RamblingMother said...

Don't suppose that Virginia will disappear. More than likely the Chinese name will. My daughter also has 4 names and I dislike any shortening of the names too. Glenys Talley Baojiang are her first three names. Now she has decided she only wants to be called Talley. She is 3.5. I have called her Glenys for 2.5 years.

Go figure.

Beverly

the mommy said...

I love the name Madeleine and you are right that is a good Combo (Albright and Kahn). Your daughter is so beautiful and she reminds me so much of my friend Wendy's daughter Kate.

Anonymous said...

Madeleine is a beautiful name for a beautiful baby! Congratulations, May!

Much love,

Karla and Larkin

Yoli said...

Both names are beautiful and with a very dignified history. I keep remembering fondly the letter from Santa from the reporter to Virginia that gets posted during the holidays.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on RQ and love it!!! We live right outside Charlotte and have a LID 9-8-06 for our first child. I have a special gift for you if you would like to email me your address
thewardos@bellsouth.net

LOVE her name!!

Natalie

Anonymous said...

I've got to admit I'm a little prejudiced to the name Madeleine, considering I have a Madeleine of my own! :) We did not shorten it either - only since she's been in 3rd grade has she been called Maddie by some of her schoolmates, but she's always Madeleine to us! Congratulations!!

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

All the best to you, and stick with the name you love. We came home with our daughter in July, and last month I went for her social security card. The woman helping me said, "Wow, that's a lot of name!" But I was determined to stick with the first name I loved, my husband wanted his mother's middle name, as she passed away in March without seeing her new grandaughter, and I really wanted to keep her Chinese name as well. Plus, my husband's last name is a long German one. Despite the obstacles you will run into with computer programs that only have three fields for names, I think keeping the names you love as well as your daughter's heritage will be worthwhile. She's beautiful - enjoy every minute and I wish you as much happiness as we have had with our wonderful girl!

Mom 2 six said...

We have an older Madeline. It's a classy name. Your daughter is so cute ! What a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter's name is a beautiful one, indeed! Her name reflects the paths which have brought you together and the promising future that, I pray, you and she will have together. Blessings.

B-squared said...

Congratulations on your referral! (We have a beautiful girl from Guangxi as well - I saw your blog link on that group.) The name you have chosen is beautiful. Here's to speedy travel! You're in for the time of your life (as though you don't know that already!) :-)
Best wishes!