Today Madeleine turns 8 months old! I don't think I will have her in my arms on her 9-month birthday -- but I will be close! Now, going back to Referral Day, I need to thank my friend Suzy for researching the meaning of Madeleine's Chinese name, "Li Wei." Most of the information in the Referral packet is in Chinese and we have to wait a few days for our agency to get it translated - so they don't know the meaning of her Chinese name when they call you on Referral Day. And, you really need to know what the Chinese characters look like, because there are usually many meanings for the same written word, but will mean different things depending on the Chinese character. I was too excited about everything else to worry about the meaning of her name in the hours after I got the call -- but Suzy took it upon herself to do some research on the internet - and she called me back in just an hour or so. She found that Li Wei translates as "Beautiful Rose"... I think that is so perfect, especially since she was born on February 14! I was so glad Suzy found that and called me -- and to top it off, I was on the phone with her telling me what she'd found, when in walked my dear family friend Linda - with a huge bouquet of beautiful pink roses! -- and Linda had no idea of the translation! :) The next evening, a group of friends went to dinner at Baoding to help me celebrate. Suzy brought (another) bouquet of beautiful pink roses! She told me she was in the grocery store buying them as I was on the phone with her the day before, when I told her that Linda had just walked in with the roses. I've enjoyed them for nearly two weeks, and now I'm drying several stems from each bouquet to put in her baby book. By the way, if you haven't been to Baoding (at Sharon Corners) in a while, it was excellent the other night. I had not been in years - had kind of forgotten about it. At any rate, I recommend the Sesame Shrimp - delicious!
TWO bouquets of beautiful pink roses! - and my one "Beautiful Rose"

Celebrating with friends at Baoding
1 comment:
May, I am sooo excited for you! Can't wait to follow your blog on your trip to China to pick up your beautiful little rose.
Post a Comment