A little more on the translation of Madeleine's Chinese name, "Li Wei" (or Liwei). My friend Suzy did find a correct translation of "Beautiful Rose" that corresponds with my Li Wei's specific Chinese characters... however, when I received the translation of the Referral (a few days after I received the original Referral packet, much of which is in Chinese when you first get it) - there was another translation for "Li Wei" that my adoption agency's translator gave. He is Chinese and does a lot of these translations - but there can still be multiple meanings. I love "Beautiful Rose" - but I like this translation, too: The "Li" still means "beautiful", but he translated the "Wei" as "Osmund" - (No, not Donny Osmond!). "Osmund" is also known as "Royal Fern" -- Here is what I found online:
Osmunda regalis - “Royal Fern”
Royal Fern is a species of Osmunda, native to Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas, growing in woodland bogs. The species is sometimes known as Flowering Fern due to the appearance of its fertile fronds. It is a deciduous herbaceous plant which produces separate fertile and sterile fronds. The name derives from its being one of the largest and most imposing European ferns. In many areas, it has become rare as a result of wetland drainage for agriculture.
So my Liwei is either a "Beautiful Rose" or a "Royal Fern" - I like 'em both!
1 comment:
Fern, rose, beautiful - they are all the same. I am in love with Madeline! And, she looks just like me except I have blue eyes! And that is my final answer.... love and kisses and hugs... CW
Post a Comment