1.16.2008

Life with Madeleine

I can't believe that I haven't updated this blog in over a month -- sorry! We got home from China at midnight on December 13 -- Christmas was wonderful, but a bit of a blur! :) Madeleine got into the spirit, however, as you'll see from her "Mrs. Claus" outfit in the photos below :) [Oops, I changed my mind.. there are photos below, but I'm going to add a few from Christmas in a separate post, after this one.]

There is so much I could tell you about her -- but in a nutshell -- she is doing just GREAT and is so sweet and wonderful -- I am indeed one Lucky Mama to have her! She is growing like the proverbial weed -- she weighed 18 lbs-2 oz at her first appointment with the pediatrician on Dec. 19 -- and then 4 weeks later on Jan. 15, she had gained 1-1/2 pounds, weighing in at 19 lbs-10-1/2 oz! She is in the 50th percentile for weight (on American charts) and I think in the 50th for height, too (she is 29" now). She has a great appetite and eats three good meals a day, plus 2 or 3 bottles of formula (starting to cut back on that now). She especially loves to eat anything she can pick up herSELF! (cheerios, green beans, pear & banana chunks, etc.) Her personality is definitely blossoming -- she clamps that mouth shut and turns her head if she has had enough or doesn't like it :)

She can really move across the floor now (still a belly crawl, but she can cover some ground!) -- and she is starting to "pull up" - sort of -- mostly using me/my legs as her support when I am sitting on the sofa. I can't stand it, but I don't think it will be long before she is walking! That will help my back and muscles, but I really don't want her to walk just yet... but of course she's gonna do whatever she's gonna do :)

Madeleine is also very "verbal" -- she talks up a storm in her own little language - I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm listening and talking back to her. She also loves to smack her lips -- sort of a cross between a pop and a kiss. Some mornings she starts smacking those lips right away when I go to her crib -- she knows it makes me laugh :)

Madeleine also LOVES company -- whenever anyone comes over, she starts jumping up and down in my arms and gets so excited! I look at her and say, "what am I, 'chopped liver?' -- I guess Mom can get a little boring :) She is going to do great in daycare b/c she gets so excited when she sees other children, too. I will be sad for my "leave" from work to be over (I return to work on Feb. 4), but I think it will be good for her and she will thrive in daycare. I'm so lucky to have a spot at a wonderful 5-star center with a church downtown, 5 minutes from my office.

Below are some recent photos from the first few weeks after returning home. It is hard to find even 5 minutes to do ANYthing (Madeleine is VERY busy ALL the time!) -- but now that I've caught up a little in some other areas, I hope to update this blog a little more frequently.) By the way, for those of you who followed my trip on my other "Baby Jelly Beans" website, I have finally updated that site, too, and have added photos to just about every page... esp. the Guangzhou page (including photos from the famous "Red Couch" photo op at The White Swan) -- Towards the end of the trip we were just so busy (shopping! :) in Guangzhou and there was just no time to upload photos. So I finally got around to doing it the other day. I will keep that website for perhaps another month (through February) -but then will let it go and just use this one. I suppose it's a little late now, but if you're interested and want to see any more photos from the trip, you can access the site now and just scroll through the photos. Go to www.babyjellybeans.com and then enter "Madeleine Johnston" in the name fields.

Many thanks to everyone for all of the messages on my website (the Baby Jelly Beans and this one) -- I loved reading them in China (and back at home!) Also thanks to so many of you here in Charlotte who have stopped by, brought food or a gift for Madeleine, etc. I am WAY behind in my thank-you notes but I just hope everyone knows how much it has meant to me to have all the interest and love coming at us!

First day at home

This is great! -- So many toys to choose from!

I'm getting really good at eating Cheerios!

With "JuJu" (Uncle) Harold

I LOVE my Baby Einstein Activity Center!

Then again, a wooden spoon and the dishwasher utensils thingy are pretty fun, too!

I TOLD my Mama I do NOT like baths!

But drying off isn't so bad :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like she is doing excellent! Going back to work and doing the Day Care thing is tough (especially as a single mom) but she'll do great, I'm sure!
Anne (a long time lurker and fellow single adoptive mom)